This simple chicken dish, prepared in approximately 40 minutes, delivers a gourmet flavor without a gourmet price tag. Using the less expensive bone-in chicken breasts provides for an economical, healthy meal. Boneless chicken breast can also be used and is equally delicious. In both cases, the chicken pieces are pleasantly moist inside while retaining a lovely golden brown exterior. Inexpensive white cooking wine transforms the cream soup base into a gourmet-flavored sauce.
Creamy Gourmet Chicken
5 chicken breasts, bone in, skin removed
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, sliced thin
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup white cooking wine, divided
1/2 soup can of 2% milk
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper to taste.
2. In a large skillet, brown the chicken over medium-high heat.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the soup, remaining wine, and milk in a small bowl.
4. Remove chicken, deglaze pan with 1/4 cup of white wine to incorporate those yummy brown bits of flavor
5. Lower the heat; add the mushrooms and sauté for one minute then move to the side.
6. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the onions and scoop the mushrooms on top.
7. Pour cream soup mix over chicken. Gently move the chicken pieces and swoosh the soup around to incorporate all ingredients. 8. When the soup begins to simmer, cover skillet, cook on medium-low. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken are cooked through. Remove the lid for the last five minutes of cooking in order to allow the sauce to thicken.
Plate the chicken atop a bed of thin egg noodles or white rice, spooning chicken with additional creamy sauce. Add a fresh green salad or vegetable to complete the meal.